Thursday 17 March 2016

Lai Foong Beef Noodle Shop ~ Taman Tayton View, Cheras

Lai Foong Beef Noodle Shop originated from Lai Foong Restaurant on Jalan Tun HS Lee and are run by brothers - one in Tayton View, the other back in Tun HS Lee.

For reviews on the beef noodles at Lai Foong Restaurant, click here and here.
For reviews on Lai Foong Beef Noodle Shop, click here and here.


Lai Foong Beef Noodle Shop is a air-conditioned shop-lot nestled in Cheras, a mile of a difference from the Lai Foong Restaurant kopitiam-style on Jalan Tun HS Lee.

Click the menu to zoom in!
I have to admit that I've not been to the original shop but I passed it a lot during my short stint at a bank on Jalan Tun HS Lee. A menu of meat, beef balls and offal served with noodles are the mains with a slight cringe-worthy offering of tongue and bull penis. 


I went with what I deemed was the safest - combination EA of lam (beef brisket, erroneously translated as sirloin in the menu) and beef balls.

The brisket was tender while the beef balls tasty without overwhelming gamey-ness. The soup was tasty but not as rich as I expected (or perhaps all beef noodles are not like the rich Kau Kee Beef Noodles in Hong Kong). The thin variety of kuey teow was great in the clear soup.


LC ordered combination CA - lean meat with beef balls with dry-styled lai fun. The lai fun was smooth and surprisingly not out of place. I thought it would've been like laksa out of asam laksa. Please forgive my poor attempt of making a joke of a fish out of water.


The noodle portion was rather small and for a beef ball combination, you only get 3 beef balls along with whatever else in the combination. LC ended up with another bowl after his first. Unfortunately it seems to only come in one size and add-ons start at 30 cents for additional spring onions or bean sprouts.

For a minimum RM8 per bowl, the price is quite steep. I suppose that's what you get for additional comfort. Otherwise, I wouldn't mind visiting them again if the beef ball craving strikes or if I'm in the area. It's really not bad, not bad at all.